Start a Walking Group or Event
Are you looking to organize a community walk or start a walking group at your business or church? Let us help! We can offer you tips and resources to get your walking program started.
Tips for Organizing a Community Walk
- Organize a team of volunteers to determine location, logistics, route, etc.
- Decide on a date, time and location for the walk. Plan to walk the route in advance. Walking the route on the same day of the week at the same time of day that the event will take place will help you get a feel for traffic, road hazards and other conditions. Weather, traffic, etc. should also be taken into consideration as you arrange the details. For example, you would not want to plan a noon time walk in the middle of summer or during a busy drive time of the day.
- Contact city officials to find out if you need a permit to hold a walk. Gather materials you need for distribution, including t-shirts, handouts or water.
- After you've received clearance from city or local officials, begin publicizing the walk at least two weeks prior to the event. Include information related to rescheduling or moving the walk due to inclement weather. Send information to the local newspaper, radio and television stations. Distribute flyers at businesses, schools or other prominent locations and utilize social media outlets to help get the news out.
- Invite any speakers or special guests and prepare a welcome/introduction and any other information you would like to share with participants. If you need a liability waiver, be sure you have enough copies on hand for distribution.
- On the day of the event, arrive early and arrange a sign-in table with handouts, nametags, waivers and giveaways.
- Welcome participants at the designated time, lead warm-up and/or stretching exercises and begin your wellness walk!